(07)3448 0052

Interested in Mental Health First Aid Training? Click here to learn more and view our training dates.

Customer Enquiry

(07) 3448 0052

It’s important to understand what your Home Care Package is, how it can help you and the amount you will have to spend. This post will also discuss what the difference is between the CHSP (Commonwealth Home Support Program) and a level 1-4 Home Care Package.

First off, what is the difference between a Home Care Package and CHSP and how are you assessed? Both help you live independently in your own home with the support from a community care worker.

There are two assessment teams, one is called a RAS team. This team can give you referral numbers if you only need a little bit of support. If they think that your needs are higher, they will refer you for an ACAT assessment. The ACAT assessor can asses you as needing a Home Care Package level 1, 2, 3 or 4.

The ACAT assessor recommends a level and puts your name on a waiting list. While you are waiting on that list, you can receive the Commonwealth Home Support Program using your referral numbers before receiving your Home Care Package. When you are allocated a package you will receive a letter from My Aged Care. This letter will tell you which level package you will be able to access.

If you have been allocated a level 1 or 2 package but have been recommended for a level 3 or 4 you can take that low level, and keep your CHSP funding. If you have been allocated a level 3 or 4, then you are unable to keep your CHSP funding. The best part about having a Home Care Package, as well as receiving the service, the aged care provider also provides coordination to maximise services.

There are four levels of Home Care Packages, but remember, just because you have been assessed for a certain home care package level doesn’t mean you will receive this level!

This is what you can expect to receive at your package level:

Level 1Level 2 Level 3Level 4
Basic care needsLow-level care needsIntermediate care needsHigh-level care needs

The services that you are able to receive include:

  • Personal Services – Assistance with personal activities such as showering, toileting, dressing and undressing
  • Continence Management – Assistance in the use of continence aids such as disposable pads and absorbent aids
  • Transport – Transportation to shops, GPs or social activities
  • Aid with Wounds – Help to manage skin tears through assistance with bandages and dressings.

More information can be found here

There are some things you are not able to do with your funds, these include:

  • Paying for permanent accommodation such as using funds to assist in the purchase of a home or rent
  • Home modification that are not related to your care
  • Travel and accommodation for holidays
  • Gambling activities

More information can be found here

As mentioned in the beginning, a Home Care Package is different from the Commonwealth Home Support program but what does this mean?

The Commonwealth Home Support Program is given to people who only need low-level support. This helps with basic needs and can be used until a Home Care Package is received.

Unfortunately, not every service provider can provide Commonwealth Home Support even if they can offer assistance with a home care package. However, this isn’t to say that service providers cant find ways to provide both!

Services that are covered under the commonwealth home support program include:

  • Social support
  • Transport
  • Domestic assistance
  • Personal care
  • Meal and food services
  • Allied health services

Understanding what the package can do for you is important in selecting what you would like help with and how you will go about managing the package.

It is also important to understand what the Commonwealth Home Support Program is and what it can do for you while waiting for a Home Care Package to arrive. It can be difficult to understand the difference between the two and that not all home care package providers can supply this support.

Have a Home Care Provider Yet?

People are starting to remain at home longer and this will require a helping hand at some stage.

It is important to trust the person that you let into your home, you have the ability to choose the support you receive, give feedback or make complaints to your care to make sure you feel happy and safe at home

CiMaS offers a person-centric approach to support in the home and commits to matching client and care worker to make sure a bond of trust is created.

Call 3812 7283 for a FREE consultation today!

Get a FREE consultation when you fill out the below details

* indicates required